Monday, March 7, 2011

Assumptions


Assumptions…. can sometimes prove way off the mark.

I lost my yellow card, which I need when entering South Africa as proof that I have had my yellow fever injections.  Several searches all over the apartment brought me to a logical conclusion:  I have to get another shot!  Gathering a big bundle of Naira, because doctors have proved to be very expensive here, and you never know.  In the back of my mind I was also preparing for a possible bribe, just to avoid another shot.  Not really dishonest I thought because I had a shot earlier this year.

Luckily I’ve got a driver who said he know where to take me for it.  First hospital, lots of people in queues.  A person coming up from behind me, just enquired over my shoulder to the attendant what she wanted.  This reminded me that I am in Nigeria and I can also ask my question over the shoulders of those in front of me. Friendly and politely I was told I could not get my yellow fever injection here but at… eleven????? Must I come back at eleven o’clock?  No no, at eleven….hospital.  Back to Kenny my driver, but he does not know where Eleven Hospital is either.  Back to the counter. Luckily none expected me to wait in the queue and I could ask where Eleven Hospital is?  Lots of friendly unintelligible directions and me just standing there blank faced and every one looking at me.  Then help from onlookers, all wanted to tell me…still blank, I ask if someone can write it down for me.  Pen and paper appeared from different directions and I have the instructions for my driver.


Driving  in Abuja looking the clinic

Arriving at Eleven, a small very decent looking hospital, I still had no luck, and neither could I can make out the directions to the next place again.  Bring your driver here they said.  This went on for another two stops before I ended in front of a fairly deserted looking building with a bleak sign saying medical center at second and third floor.  Arriving at third floor I had to sign in and the sole person there directed me to a tiny grimy office with two desks and two officials, a man and a woman.  Unintelligible words again from the man, luckily the woman could speak ordinary English and said he wanted my passport, wanted to know when last I had a yellow fever shot and made me fill information into another book.  Then directed to the office next door I was asked to pay the equivalent of, yes, only R18.  Back to the previous office I was handed my yellow card.  Very surprised I asked is that all?  Don’t I have to have an injection?  ‘But you said you had an injection earlier this year’  “Yes but do you believe me?”  The kindly gentle response from the woman was: “You are a mature adult and you care about your health” And that was it.  Took me 6 minutes and cost me R18 and I have my Yellow card.

Back in the car even my driver looks skeptical and asked to see the card to check if it is genuine. It is. It seems that bribes are not always necessary or even desired in Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment